Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Let’s Close Prisons Instead of Schools « Deborah Meier on Education

Let’s Close Prisons Instead of Schools « Deborah Meier on Education:


Let’s Close Prisons Instead of Schools

“Message to President Obama and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan: the nation would be a lot better off if you concentrated on closing prisons rather than closing schools” from Mark Naison’s blog.
Thank you, Mark.
Every time I go to Chicago I’m reminded about by obsessive fear and fascinating with imprisonment.  My friend, Amanda Klonsky, has spent her adult life on the issue of juvenile imprisonment, in part as a teacher of imprisoned juveniles.  On returning from Chicago I was confronted once again with it over Thanksgiving,  when I met a cousin twice removed (or something like that) who is now in college and considering going into this field.
I think I try to avoid the question of prisons as much as I do because  I’m already claustrophobic, a bit of a hermit, and have trouble being “obedient”.  It terrifies me.  But, for the same reason,  I’ve been involved over the