Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:




Molly Munger’s (& PTA’s) Initiative Gets 28% Of CA Vote

Larry Ferlazzo at Engaging Parents In School... - 8 hours ago
I’ve previously posted my perspective/analysis on what I consider to be a disastrous alliance the California PTA made with billionaire Molly Munger to push a school tax initiative different from California Governor Brown’s Proposition. In that post, I suggested that Prop 38, the Munger/PTA initiative, would be lucky to get 40%. I made a dramatic [...]

Report From Last Month’s Parent/Teacher Home Visit Project National Conference

Larry Ferlazzo at Engaging Parents In School... - 8 hours ago
I’m a big supporter of teachers making home visits (see The Best Resources For Learning About Teacher Home Visits). Though I couldn’t make last month’s national home visit conference in Denver, several other staff and parents from our school did attend. Carrie Rose, Executive Director of the Parent/Teacher Home Visit Project, agreed to write this [...]

“Schools Are Using Social Networking to Involve Parents”

Larry Ferlazzo at Engaging Parents In School... - 8 hours ago
Schools Are Using Social Networking to Involve Parents is a new article over at Education Week. Here’s how it begins: Digital technology is providing a growing variety of methods for school leaders to connect with parents anywhere, anytime—a tactic mirroring how technology is used to engage students. Through Twitter feeds, Facebook pages, and text messages [...]

A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Writing

Larry Ferlazzo at Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... - 6 hours ago
I will be publishing a multi-part series on writing over at my Education Week Teacher blog, and thought it might be useful to publish a compilation of all my writing related “The Best…” lists. Here they are: The Best Websites … Continue reading →

Diwali Resources

Larry Ferlazzo at Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... - 7 hours ago
The Hindu celebration of Diwali in 2012 will start on Tuesday, November 13th and will continue for 5 days until Saturday, Nov. 17th. I’ve just updated The Best Sites For Learning About Diwali.

Using The “Carrots, Eggs & Coffee” Story In Class

Larry Ferlazzo at Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... - 8 hours ago
I’ve previously posted about the lesson I do on “grit” and a “growth mindset” (see Have You Ever Had A Student Say “This Is Boring”? Here’s A Lesson On It I’m Trying Out Tomorrow) and which I share more extensively … Continue reading →

Infographic: Gestures In Different Countries

Larry Ferlazzo at Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... - 9 hours ago
I’m adding this infographic to The Best Sites For Learning About The World’s Different Cultures. Can readers let me know if the information in it is accurate? Clicking on “info” will get you a clearer image. by smbrtz. Browse more … Continue reading →

“How Can Teachers Best Assist Students With Special Needs?”

Larry Ferlazzo at Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... - 10 hours ago
How Can Teachers Best Assist Students With Special Needs? is the new “question of the week” at my Education Week Teacher column. Feel free to leave your responses there or here….

The Best Reports On Education-Related 2012 Election Results

Larry Ferlazzo at Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... - 11 hours ago
There were lots of education-related issues on the ballot yesterday. Here’s a quick round-up of what I think are the best reports on those election results: Results in key education races is by Valerie Strauss at The Washington Post. Teachers … Continue reading →