Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 4, 2012

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: The Problem of the Week(POTW):It's Not Just Math!

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: The Problem of the Week(POTW):It's Not Just Math!:


The Problem of the Week(POTW):It's Not Just Math!


He ran across the room and yelled, "I got it!
Poking at his head, he said, "I used my brain and I got it!"
What did he get?
He had just solved the Problem of the Week. :)

I decided to use the Problem of the Week (POTW) more diligently this year, and it's a decision I do not regret.  At least once or twice a week, my students form groups, (it changes between assigned and random), and they attempt to solve the POTW. Sometimes they get it, and sometimes they don't. But, that's not what matters.

What matters is what comes from the attempt to solve this problem.  Of course, the Math is important. It's not a