Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 8, 2012

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: Hey AR,(Accelerated Reader):I Have A Bone to Pick With You!

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: Hey AR,(Accelerated Reader):I Have A Bone to Pick With You!:


Hey AR,(Accelerated Reader):I Have A Bone to Pick With You!

Dear Accelerated Reader,

Can I call you AR?


I have a bone to pick with you!
I don't know about other schools, or classrooms, but you are sucking the joy out of reading in my classroom.
Ok, well, it's not really you, but it's what you stand for. It's also what others have made of you. So, I guess it's not all your fault.

I get it. You want our students to read, and you want them to read on their level. You want them to read so much that they become better readers. You do this by making them take a test, which then decides what books they are able to read. And once they read the book, they take a quiz.

In our school, they read to get points. They get points to get in a Club. When they get in the Club, they get