Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 26, 2012

Daily Kos: Warren Buffett calls for A Minimum Tax for the Wealthy

Daily Kos: Warren Buffett calls for A Minimum Tax for the Wealthy:


Warren Buffett calls for A Minimum Tax for the Wealthy

in this New York Times op ed
I am somewhat pressed for time because of school responsibilities, so I will not go as thoroughly through the piece as I might otherwise.  But consider his first two paragraphs:
SUPPOSE that an investor you admire and trust comes to you with an investment idea. “This is a good one,” he says enthusiastically. “I’m in it, and I think you should be, too.”Would your reply possibly be this? “Well, it all depends on what my tax rate will be on the gain you’re saying we’re going to make. If the taxes are too high, I would rather leave the money in my savings account, earning a quarter of 1 percent.” Only in Grover Norquist’s imagination does such a response exist.
It gets better from there, and remember, the arguments are coming from America's most successful investor EVER, someone fairly universally admired.  Continue below the squiggle for a few highlights.