Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Call me NaNo… « Teaching Between the Lines

Call me NaNo… « Teaching Between the Lines:


Call me NaNo…

It’s Day One of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), and my 8th graders wrote for a full hour in class, tap-tap-tapping away on the first chapters of their novels.   They wrote in a Google Doc, which they shared with me, so when I should have been working on my own novel, I was taking peeks at theirs.  Wow!  Some great stuff.  Here are just a handful of opening lines that caught my attention:
My favorite sound in the world is the click of a camera shutter, not the crack of a gunshot.  (AG)
School sucks. Yet another black eye from yet another dumb brute who plays football. (NB)
We barely slid under the first gate before it was slammed shut.  (DH)
Look at those NaNos go! (And hooray for our principal, who worked on her novel with us today!)
My window overlooked New York City and I knew that somewhere past the newly constructed and the