Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What Are We Measuring in Education? | Connected Principals

What Are We Measuring in Education? | Connected Principals:


What Are We Measuring in Education?


I recently came across the practice having a “data room“ in schools.
These rooms provide teachers and administrators quantitative information (in graphic form) to facilitate ”informed” decisions.
I have to admit, the site of the “data room” gave me that “something doesn’t feel right” sensation in my stomach.
How has it come to be that, for some, data rooms in school are seen as exemplars in education?
If it’s true that we measure what we value – it might be time to examine our values.
Let me be clear – I am not advocating that we make uninformed decisions.  We need good information to make