Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 27, 2012

VAAP | California Father

VAAP | California Father:


VAAP

I recently received this thoughtful comment bin response to a blog entry I wrote a while back about alternative assessment for kids with IEPs. Thank you, Karen.  I think your take is spot on!
I wrote a letter that appeared in our local newspaper. Free Lance Star. I thought it might interest you. As a teacher I wanted parents to be aware of this new process and how it might impact their children. Here is a copy.
October 8, 2012
To whom it may concern:
I am a National Board Certified Special Education teacher in Spotsylvania County Schools. I have taught here for 10 years and have been a Special Education teacher for over 20 years. I am writing to you because of concerns that I have for the new alternative assessment (VAAP) for students with significant cognitive disabilities.
The expectation of the No Child Left Behind Act is that the majority of students with disabilities can and should participate in and achieve proficiency on state assessments. I teach a small percentage of students with disabilities who may not reach grade-level standards, even with the best appropriate instruction. These are students with the most significant cognitive disabilities (about 1 percent of all special education students.) The