Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Two nights. Two meetings. « Fred Klonsky

Two nights. Two meetings. « Fred Klonsky:


Two nights. Two meetings.


A meeting for an elected school board on Tuesday and a meeting to fight for pension justice on Wednesday.
Nothing gets my blood flowing like taking part in two grass-roots activist meetings on two consecutive nights.
Tuesday night I was at the Town Hall gathering for an elected school board. More than two hundred people filled the large space at the Logan Square auditorium to hear CTU President Karen Lewis, UIC professor and schools activist Pauline Lipman, Ames School parent Dalia Bonnila and journalist Ben Joravsky.
More than there just to listen, these folks were just one small part of a city-wide core and corps of activists, many who have been active for a decade or longer fighting against school closings and for community


Tony at the Red Line Tap.


“Ah. You’re back from Michigan,” said Tony as I pulled up a stool.
“Marty. Let me have a bottle of Cantillon Soleil De Minuit. Yep. Got back on Monday. When did you get back?”
“I think it was the night of the second debate,” Tony said.
“I didn’t think you would have watched.”
“Marty had it on the TV. Besides I watch. I happen to be very interested in elections. From a financial point of view, of course.”
“Sure,” I said. “The economic issues are really important. Like James Carville said. ‘It’s the economy, stupid.’”