Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

So Much On My Mind That I Can’t Recline [On Hurricane Sandy] | The Jose Vilson

So Much On My Mind That I Can’t Recline [On Hurricane Sandy] | The Jose Vilson:


So Much On My Mind That I Can’t Recline [On Hurricane Sandy]


Hurricane Sandy Hits South Carolina Beach
The new moon rode high in the crown of the metropolis,
Shinin’, like “Who on top of this?”
- Mos Def in Blackstar’s “Respiration”
Flashlights. Bottles of water. Cereal. Baby food. Milk. Batteries. Charged devices. Landline phone on deck. Ready-to-eat foods.
As we went through the list at the supermarket, I found myself feeling stupid for thinking it wasn’t going to be that bad. Chalk it up to a New Yorker’s bravado. The citadel that survived the riots of the 70s, the drug wars of