Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 4, 2012

School Tech Connect: Things That Aren't Slogans

School Tech Connect: Things That Aren't Slogans:


Things That Aren't Slogans

I'm not a subscriber over at Education Week any more, so I can't comment on Pedro Noriega's recent post,which I hesitate to characterize as "overwrought and under-thought" but only because I'm a bit of a fly on the wall compared to Pedro Noriega.

However,  there's this:
If we really want to change the direction of reform then we have to articulate a clear strategy on how it can be achieved. It can't just be a new set of slogans or a manifesto like that adopted by the CTU ("The Schools Chicago's Children Deserve"). This is a step in the right direction, and many of the ideas they've articulated begin to shift the focus of reform in a direction that's needed, but I think we must go further. 

Fine, go further. But I don't know how anyone who has actually read The Schools Chicago's Children Deservecan refer to it as a set of slogans. It's a plan. By my count, it makes 28 specific proposals to improve the learning conditions of Chicago's schools. That's a plan. It's not a set of slogans.

What is a set of slogans is, weirdly, Mr. Noriega's post. The title is a

Testing, and What You Can Do About It

Opt Out!

The meeting is tonight in Logan Square. I won't be able to get there, but I hope someone films it.




Jill Stein Gets To Chime In

Thank God for Democracy Now. I really have no interest in hearing from Mitt Romney or even from the President. I want to know what the other candidates have to say. Can we not have more than two voices?

Watch live streaming video from democracynow at livestream.com

Watch live streaming video from democracynow at livestream.com