Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

UPDATE: Proco, the Hipster Alderman, endorses Obama but voices his disappointment. « Fred Klonsky

Proco, the Hipster Alderman, endorses Obama but voices his disappointment. « Fred Klonsky


Proco, the Hipster Alderman, endorses Obama but voices his disappointment.


For you out-of-towners, “Proco” Joe Moreno is the Alderman of the first ward.
I don’t live in the first ward. I’m in the 35th. Our alderman is Rey “the invisible” Colon. Colon is considered an independent, That is because he is independent of taking any position on any issue facing the citizens of this city.
The first ward is just a few blocks away from my house. In fact, as a result of the last redistricting Logan Square now divided up into so many wards that I think my bedroom will be in one ward, my toilet in another and I’ll be washing my clothes in the laundry room in a third.
Proco is known by some as the hipster alderman. Why? I have no idea other than parts of his ward include what


Don’t be fooled.

IEA members received their Insider by email yesterday.
Election Day is Nov. 6, but thousands of IEA members have already cast their ballots for IEA recommended candidatesand AGAINST the proposed pension amendment to the state constitution.. Early voting continues until Nov. 3 at your county clerk’s office. Call ahead for the hours of operation.It’s important that the amendment be defeated, so please encourage your friends and family to VOTE NO.
As pension activist Ken Previti wrote, “I laughed aloud to cover the scream inside my head. What is the superlative of ironic?”
What is the irony? Or ironest?
Here we have the IEA correctly reminding members to vote no on the constitutional amendment which


First, vote no on the constitutional amendment.

Popout