Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Reality Check - Woodbridge, VA, United States, ASCD EDge Blog post - A Professional Networking Community for Educators

My Reality Check - Woodbridge, VA, United States, ASCD EDge Blog post - A Professional Networking Community for Educators:


Looking Ahead

My Reality Check

How do you know if your worldview is based in reality…if your expectations are well-grounded? You need reliable perspective. How do you get solid perspective? You step outside of your own realm of experience and see how others live.

In my fourteenth year of teaching, I was also leading a number of professional development offerings for Spotsylvania County Schools. And like so many of us in ed tech, I was being pushed more and more to train colleagues on technology. It was at this point in my career that the husband of one of my workshop attendees approached me. “I hear you’re really good. Why not do what you do well for more money?”  He worked for a consulting firm that worked with government agencies and private sector firms. They needed a technology trainer.

More money caught my attention…that and the offered title of Senior Technology Trainer made it tempting. After all, there weren’t many options for upward mobility within K-12 other than building and district administration. If I accepted the offer, I