Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 19, 2012

Jersey Jazzman: Questions Newark Teachers MUST Ask About Their Contract

Jersey Jazzman: Questions Newark Teachers MUST Ask About Their Contract:


Questions Newark Teachers MUST Ask About Their Contract

UPDATE: NJ Spotlight published the highlights of the contract and the contract itself here.

I am afraid some of my questions below have been answered. Stand by...


The Newark teachers contract is the most important topic in New Jersey education right now - so I'll be writing a lot about it over the next few days. But let's get a few things on the table first:

I am a union guy. I am for collective bargaining and union representation for teachers. I'm an NJEA member, but I respect and admire AFTNJ. I have never questioned the motivations of a teachers union leader; I genuinely