Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jersey Jazzman: No Matter What You Call It, It's Still Merit Pay

Jersey Jazzman: No Matter What You Call It, It's Still Merit Pay:


No Matter What You Call It, It's Still Merit Pay

Folks, considering my record on merit pay, I think I have been more than fair regarding the Newark contract. I've been laying out the facts and what I believe are the long-term consequences - that's it. While I believe this contract has ramifications for every teacher in New Jersey, I haven't called for rejecting the deal outright because it's not my place to make that call. And I understand as well as anyone that in negotiations you sometimes have to take what you can get.

I also appreciate the work AFT president Randi Weingarten and Newark Teachers Union president Joe Del Grosso did to get this deal done. I am a union guy - I am on your team.

But this is not helpful:
This is not a merit pay system,” said Weingarten. “This is a full compensation system where the work you do and the compensation you have are tied in together.” She said the