Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 29, 2012

Homeless Endure Hurricane Sandy In New York City: 'I Can Survive Just Like This'

Homeless Endure Hurricane Sandy In New York City: 'I Can Survive Just Like This':


Homeless Endure Hurricane Sandy In New York City: 'I Can Survive Just Like This'

NEW YORK -- As Hurricane Sandy hurtled toward New York City on Monday, Eduardo Acevedo, 57, sat in an empty lot just steps from the Hudson River. Straight ahead of him was the overcast skyline of New Jersey. Behind him, a panorama of glassy, doormanned buildings owned by Donald Trump.

It was almost 12:30 p.m., and the city Department of Sanitation was shutting down Riverside Park, kicking out a group of hurricane gawkers from the waterfront. Acevedo had nowhere to go, so he parked himself on a slab of concrete owned by the city, associated with a nearby warehouse. "If I just sit here, I'll be okay. My ass is here tonight," Acevedo said, slipping his chapped hands into his pockets. Above him, the West Side highway