Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

UPDATE: Everyone in my Brooklyn family is okay this morning. I’m thinking of the others who may not have fared so well. « Fred Klonsky

Everyone in my Brooklyn family is okay this morning. I’m thinking of the others who may not have fared so well. « Fred Klonsky:


CTU challenges the slow chipping away at the pension protection clause of the state constitution.


Let’s consider this scenario:
A school district employee works as a teacher for 20 years. She pays into the state’s retirement system 9.4% of her salary every paycheck as she is required to do. Let’s say that her salary after 20 years and having moved through all her possible professional growth lanes is now around $80 or 90 K.  By the way, over this same period the state rarely pays into the system what they are legally obligated to pay. Meanwhile the teacher has gone



Everyone in my Brooklyn family is okay this morning. I’m thinking of the others who may not have fared so well.

Thank goodness for Twitter, Facebook and email. Thank goodness for old fashion telephones. Both cellular and landlines.
My daughters, my son-in-law and daughter-in law, my grandkids and other in-laws and nephews – all live in New York. Most in Brooklyn.
Lots to worry about yesterday and last night. That I was in constant contact with them made it a little easier to be 900 miles away.
The good news this morning is that they all reported in. They are safe. They are dry. They have power.
At least the electrical kind.
Both my kids are teachers. I know they are worried about their students today.
One teaches on the lower east side of Manhattan. Her school had to be evacuated at the start of the school year


Ten minute drawing. Fatal attraction?



Click on drawing to enlarge.