Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Diane in the Evening 10-23-12 Diane Ravitch's blog

Diane Ravitch's blog:





Love Us Less. Respect Us More.

The blogger known as Students Last usually writes parodies.
But the last Presidential debate made him turn serious.
Both candidates said they “love teachers.”
Yes, everyone really, really loves teachers.
Students Last couldn’t stand the fake love and wrote this:
We know you come to this site for a laugh but some things are just NOT funny. Here’s a non-satirical editorial 


Teacher: How the DC Public Schools Ruined My Career

As a former DCPS teacher from 2008-2012, this system stressed me out so much so that now I’m on 6 different medications. Teaching is the least respected profession in this country, which is sad considering teachers go to college to earn a degree to teach, pay this high price tuition, get a teaching position, deal with the day to day issues with students, raise other peoples children, pull money out of our pockets for supplies, trips, food, absorb their problems, deal with an administration that says things like “you teachers ain’t s#%t”, and the likes of all I just stated. And yes, someone of position told me and another teacher to our face that “you teachers ain’t !@#$. The way I see it, the school system overall is doomed to fail….is that what the people up top want? I think so. Some things are set up to fail and unfortunately teachers are too. I was set up.