Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 26, 2012

Daily Kos: Rubi at 100: still teaching

Daily Kos: Rubi at 100: still teaching:


Rubi at 100: still teaching

Four years ago I mentioned in a diary the women who had first taught me cello more than half a century ago, and persuaded my sister and myself to go to what was then National Music Camp in Interlochen Michigan, which she herself had attended in 1929.  A few days later I got an email from her daughter, who happened to have googled her mom and found my post, and who informed me her mother, then 96, was still teaching.
On October 19 Rubi Wentzel turned 100.  Her daughter Leslie Krikorian, invited me to California for the celebration the next day, Saturday October 20.  I flew to Oakland, drove to Lafayette, and was there to honor this remarkable woman:
photo (20)

Please keep reading as I tell you about her, and share some photos from the event.


Three statistics from Virginia worth remembering

1.  A 19% increase in the number of Latinos registered to vote since 2008
2.  A 7% increase of African-American registration
3.  Just shy of 60% of those registering to vote in the last two months are younger than 30
Unlike what likely voter screens say, where they may presume turnout will be only 70% of registered voters,


Eugene Robinson: What America will we pick?

My title has the question Eugene Robinson asks as the title of his Friday Washington Post column, which I highly recommend.
He begins simply enough
This election is only tangentially a fight over policy. It is also a fight about meaning and identity — and that’s one reason voters are so polarized. It’s about who we are and who we aspire to 


Krugman: Mr. Romney doesn’t have an economic plan at all

In his Friday column, Pointing Towards Prosperity?, the Nobel Laureate compares the economic plans of the two presidential candidates.
Well, as I’ve said before, Mr. Romney’s “plan” is a sham. It’s a list of things he claims will happen, with no description of the policies he would follow to make those things happen.
and  Krugman says he can come up with a one-point plan that trumps Romney's:  
Here it is: Every American will have a good job with good wages. Also, a blissfully