Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 6, 2012

An Urban Teacher's Education: Why I'll Be Voting Against Charter Schools (I-1240) In Washington State

An Urban Teacher's Education: Why I'll Be Voting Against Charter Schools (I-1240) In Washington State:


Why I'll Be Voting Against Charter Schools (I-1240) In Washington State

This year, like in many previous years, Washington State voters will again have the opportunity to vote for or against legalizing charter schools in our state. Initiative 1240 would allow non-profit (for-profit charter managers would not be permitted) to open eight charter schools per year in WA over the next five years.

Before I being to outline my reasons for voting against this measure, I'd first like to say three things:

1) I am more than a little frustrated about living in a society that puts up with so much callow and unsophisticated public debate. Opponents of charter schools routinely make blanket statements associating their supporters with greedy corporate robots. On the other side, supporters accuse opponents of being obstructionist teachers union activists who will have nothing to do with anything except the mediocre status quo