Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 6, 2012

All Education Matters: Request for Online Support: Young Student Debtor Writes, "[B]eing dead would be a relief compared to a life without hope."

All Education Matters: Request for Online Support: Young Student Debtor Writes, "[B]eing dead would be a relief compared to a life without hope.":


Request for Online Support: Young Student Debtor Writes, "[B]eing dead would be a relief compared to a life without hope."

The notes continue to land in my inbox or in the comments section here - so many people, with crushing debt, write to me and express in difficult tones how they have lost hope, how they wish to be dead, and how they see no future. As I said in my article published by the Huffington Post (written with the support of the Economic Hardship and Reporting Project and edited by Barbara Ehrenreich and Gary Rivlin), I was stunned by these suicidal notes. That feeling has not gone away. Each time I read one of these notes, it stings. It stirs up frustration, anger, and deep sadness. But more importantly than that, it makes me more determined to continue fighting on behalf of the indentured educated class. It's not just the suicidal remarks, but the deep sense of hopelessness that absolutely infuriates me. We cannot allow our young people to give up hope - it's too