Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Weekly Update: Following the money on everything | Seattle Education

The Weekly Update: Following the money on everything | Seattle Education:


The Weekly Update: Following the money on everything

The Weekly Update for the news you might have missed.

For more information on Initiative 1240 go to No on 1240.
This week all eyes have been on Chicago where representatives of the Chicago Teachers Union are negotiating with the mayor and his appointed school board members:
Selling the Soul of Public Education
As we traipse through these weeks of conventioning, I know that the my-parents-showed-me-what-hard-work-means tales are getting a bit old. Still, please indulge me for a couple of paragraphs.
My dad taught for 34 years in inner-city public high schools in Chicago. For much of my childhood, my mom taught elementary school, also in a Chicago public school. They are two of the most hard-working people I’ve ever met, and I will forever be inspired by their capacity for personal sacrifice to serve the common good.