Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 17, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: SPS News and Updates

Seattle Schools Community Forum: SPS News and Updates:


SPS News and Updates

This story from the Times on Roosevelt's Rueben Van Kempen, drama teacher and director extraordinaire who will be inducted into the Educational Theatre Association's Hall of Fame in San Diego this week.  One interesting item that most don't know - RHS offers the only full-time theater program in SPS with multiple classes.   His legacy (but he's not going anywhere) - this from a student:

"He instilled a belief in me, a belief in following my passions and dreams. Whether I'd gone on to be an engineer or a teacher or anything else, I'd appreciate what he gave me at a really important time."

An accomplished stage director as well as an innovative teacher, Van Kempen has trained and inspired dozens of theater professionals, working from here to Broadway.