Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Prop 30 vs. Prop 38: A Voter Guide for Parents

Prop 30 vs. Prop 38: A Voter Guide for Parents:


Prop 30 vs. Prop 38: A Voter Guide for Parents





As a parent who volunteers in the schools and has learned the hard way just how complicated school finance is, I want to share my personal analysis of the two education initiatives on this November’s ballot — Prop 30 (a.k.a. Governor Brown’s Initiative) and Prop 38 (a.k.a. Molly Munger’s Initiative). If you need some basic background about each proposition, you can find good links at my “homework” post.
I based my analysis on one simple principle: Children should not be made to pay for the mistakes of grown-ups. With that in mind, this is what I decided.
Since parents are a busy bunch, I’ll give you my answers in three forms: the 15-second answer, the 1-minute answer, and the 3-minute answer (they build off each other, so read all the answers before it if you want the 3-minute answer).

The 15-second Answer

To make sure that schools don’t have to make do with billions less in funding, vote yes on BOTH Prop