Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Noguera: The Origins of My Views on Education - Bridging Differences - Education Week

Noguera: The Origins of My Views on Education - Bridging Differences - Education Week:


Noguera: The Origins of My Views on Education



















Dear Deborah,
As I join you in blogging on Bridging Differences, allow me to step back and tell readers a little bit about myself to get things started.
I have been in the field of education for almost 30 years. I have been a public school teacher in Providence, R.I., and Oakland, Calif.; an elected school board member in Berkeley, Calif. (1990-1994); a professor and researcher at the University of California, Berkeley; Harvard; and now, New York University. I am also the parent of four children who have attended public schools in Berkeley, Cambridge, and New York City. (I now have a fifth child, but she's still too young to go to school.)

In each of these roles, I've learned new and important lessons about the way education in American society