Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 17, 2012

GOOD Education: Schools Don’t Need Reform, They Need Revolution « Cooperative Catalyst

GOOD Education: Schools Don’t Need Reform, They Need Revolution « Cooperative Catalyst:


GOOD Education: Schools Don’t Need Reform, They Need Revolution

Nominated for the U.S. Secretary of Education by Diane Ravitch and lauded as an “emerging voice of his generation,” at age 17, Nikhil Goyal is the author of One Size Does Not Fit All: A Student’s Assessment of School by the Alternative Education Resource Organization.
This piece originally appeared on GOOD Education: Schools Don’t Need Reform, They Need Revolution  
In the summer of 2010 I took a three-week trip to India to visit family in Delhi and Calcutta. After I came back to the United States, I started to review the notes I’d jotted down from conversations I had with Indian students and parents on their frustrations with school. That September I started as a freshman at Syosset High School. For many years, my family and I had planned on moving into a community where there were high-ranking school