Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Truth About Healthy Food (and Kids and Schools) - Lily's Blackboard | Lily's Blackboard

The Truth About Healthy Food (and Kids and Schools) - Lily's Blackboard | Lily's Blackboard:
Lily's Blackboard Rotating Header Image

The Truth About Healthy Food (and Kids and Schools)

First, let me just say, that I’m not advocating lying to children. I’m not proposing that moms and dads make up silly lies and tell tall tales just to get kids to eat healthier. I am absolutely not saying that. Lying to your children is wrong. And you get caught.
I did.
Because my (then) four year old, Jeremy, had a sweet tooth, and I got tired of fighting with him about why it just wasn’t good for him to be eating so much sugar and that diabetes runs in my family, and his teeth would rot but, I mean, I was worried about his health, and what else was I supposed to do? So.
I told him it was against the law for kids to buy a cereal with a cartoon on the box unless it was their birthday.
Because “cartoon” cereals are packaged to appeal to kids and in the box of 99.9% of “cartoon”