Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 31, 2012

The in box. “I have two regrets about my early teaching career.” « Fred Klonsky

The in box. “I have two regrets about my early teaching career.” « Fred Klonsky:


The in box. “I have two regrets about my early teaching career.”

Fred,
I have two regrets about my early teaching career. The first is that I crossed a picket line during the CTU strike in 1980. I was employed as an FTB (full time basis sub) in my first job out of college. I wasn’t yet a Union member, but I should NEVER have crossed that line. CPS hadn’t paid us for at least two pay periods, right before the holiday season. I wanted to keep my job, so I crossed and helped the administration ride herd on several hundred children in the auditorium and library. It was chaos. I should have stood strong with my colleagues on the line but didn’t have enough sense to do so. The other regret is stating, ” Even though I have three years of experience 



Chicago. The whole world is watching again.

Photo: The Chicago Teachers Solidarity Campaign.


Quinn. The most anti-labor Illinois Governor. Ever.

Angry union members chase Governor Quinn out of the State Fair grounds.
I got some written equivalents to a raised eyebrow when I referred to Pat Quinn as the most anti-labor Governor since World War II in a recent post.
Did I overstate the matter?
Not according to AFSCME, which sent this email out to its members:
AFSCME members in state government have never faced an Administration so totally indifferent to its responsibility to provide vital services to Illinois citizens—or so unremittingly hostile to the employees who provide those services. It’s going to be a long,