Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Gates Foundation Writes: K-12 Education: An Opportunity Catalyst - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

The Gates Foundation Writes: K-12 Education: An Opportunity Catalyst - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


The Gates Foundation Writes: K-12 Education: An Opportunity Catalyst

Guest post by Irvin Scott.

In this fourth of five exchanges with the Gates Foundation, we take on some of the biggest questions of all: What is the purpose of a K-12 education? How do we think about college and career readiness? How do the Common Core Standards fit in? This post can also be viewed and commented on at the Gates Foundation'sImpatient Optimist blog. My response will be posted tomorrow.

I can still see Tyrese* in my classroom, Room 202. I can see where he sat during my Composition class. He did not come every day, but when he came he was engaged. He seemed to enjoy the class, especially when we had discussions about "hot-topics." Overtime, I had learned that one way to get students excited about writing was to engage in discussions and debate about a topic before letting them loose to write. I later learned the term