Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Speed, Violence and Testing Culture | educarenow

Speed, Violence and Testing Culture | educarenow:


Speed, Violence and Testing Culture

I continue to think about Paul Thomas’s recent post, Time As Capital: The Rise of the Frantic Class. Essentially Paul is arguing that “busyness,” the frantic pace of our culture, takes away the time needed for the kind of reflection that can free us. Being busy insures the lack of time needed to ask questions such as, why am I so busy? What am I doing with my life? What is truly important to me? Thomas shows that this busyness functions to continue to allow the status quo to perpetuate itself, thus “… education reform is more concerned with producing workers than providing all children with equity, liberation, and autonomy.” (This short summary doesn’t do service to Paul’s article. Please take the time to read the whole thing here.)
This makes me wonder, what are the connections between the speed and