Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Public Education's Eight Ball: Student Poverty | One Teacher's Perspective

Public Education's Eight Ball: Student Poverty | One Teacher's Perspective:


Public Education's Eight Ball: Student Poverty

As noted in an earlier blog, one of my summer reads was P.L. Thomas’ book, Ignoring Poverty in the U.S..  It is one of the most important education books I have read. He has reframed my thinking.

Contrary to what too many scapegoaters claim, I've never believed public education to be the cause of America's socioeconomic ills. However, I had fallen into the trap of repeating the mantra that quality public education is the cure-all for the poor. Thomas’ research highlights what all of us should be repeating in our communities and schools over and over. This is now my Thomas-induced mantra:

Reforming public education does little to reduce poverty. Reducing poverty does lots to reform public education.

Student poverty is the eight ball. I realize this is a tough concept for many Americans and some educators to