Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 27, 2012

NYC Educator: Our System at Work

NYC Educator: Our System at Work:


Our System at Work

I really try to keep a good outlook. While I complain endlessly about all the nonsense that perpetually swirls around our profession, you will not see complaints here about the actual job of teaching, which I love. I find kids inspiring, endlessly surprising, a very bright spot in my life. Yet at the same time, I see colleagues receiving inadequate support on a regular and predictable basis.

Long ago, I determined not to depend on admin for anything. I mean, if they want to help, fine. I'm grateful. In fact I've had very good administrators who were extremely helpful, who've gone the extra mile for me. You'd better believe I'd do the same for them in a heartbeat. Some people inspire loyalty. Sadly, others don't. Here's a comment from a recent blog:

I just left teaching after 20 years.  Got tired of being demonized and looked upon as unconcerned