Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 6, 2012

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: Decompressing after SOS Convention

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: Decompressing after SOS Convention:


Decompressing after SOS Convention

SOS Nat'l. Steering Committee closes out convention (James Boutin pic)
I'm taking a few days off, trying to decompress after an inspiring SOS Convention in D.C. and before the fall quarter starts. I also want to step back and think about some of the great things that took place over the weekend and what it all means for the future of this fledgling organization.

I mean, how do you digest amazing speeches by Jonathan Kozol, Deb Meier, Rose Sanders, Shanta Davis, and Nancy Carlsson-Paige all packed into 2 and a half days? Because I had to lead the Labor Panel/Workshop (more on this later but here's brother Fred's panel presentation) and introduce Kozol, I missed out on other presentations I really wanted to hear. Here's a great review of some of them by James Boutin.

Deb Meier, Stephanie & Me
There were some great student voices at the convention. Stephanie