Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cutting back on those charitable donations. « Fred Klonsky

Cutting back on those charitable donations. « Fred Klonsky:


Cutting back on those charitable donations.

This might make the Art Institute Lions roar.
I’ve been hearing this a lot lately.
It came up again the other night when I spoke to a group of 80 retirees at the Wilmette Public Library.
We’re not giving charitable donations to certain organizations anymore.
With the threatened cuts in our pensions and with our promised state pension our main retirement source of income. Well. Something’s got to give.
The gift some gave to the Art Institute. Or the Chicago Symphony. I used to give to the education program at the Goodman. No more.
And people are telling them why. And suggesting they contact whoever they are politically connected to and tell them what’s happening.
I received a sample letter today:
Summer, 2012
To Whom It May Concern:



Future teacher has a brilliant idea: Solidarity.

.
I got my undergraduate degree in Art Education.
I received a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership.
I’m ABD in Curriculum, Instruction and Evaluation. I just couldn’t get it together to write that damn dissertation.
Oh well.
Too late.
But in all those years of higher education I never had a class in