Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 23, 2012

Tony at the Red Line Tap. « Fred Klonsky

Tony at the Red Line Tap. « Fred Klonsky:


Tony at the Red Line Tap.


“If this global warming keeps up I’m gonna start charging you rent for that stool,” Tony said to me as I grabbed the one next to him.
“Christ, Tony. It’s another three digit day.”
I nodded to Marty. “Bring me something artisanal,” I said.
“An Old Style okay?” she said.
“As long as it’s cold. Perfect.”
“Topic?” Tony said.
“No. Nothing. I’m heading downtown Wednesday morning for a rally at CPS. Supporting the teachers


Which side are you on?


In box. Health care isn’t free now for retired teachers.

Fred:
I think another area of clarification when explaining to others our pension benefits, is that a large number of state pensioners who were part of AFSCME, etc. do get free health care, we’re not part of that group. My neighbors and friends have no idea the difference between AFSCME, TRS, SERS, etc. and the pension benefits for each system/group. My neighbors think I’m pulling the wool over their eyes when I tell them we’re not part of that group that gets free health care. I’ve been trying to educate them in that area. I find that I’m a bit more successful by acknowledging