Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Motorless City: @AFT Convention Ed Notes Online

Ed Notes Online:


The Motorless City: @AFT Convention

As I got closer to one massive beautiful brick building that in most cities would be a high-priced condo, it was clear that it was a building for cars. Maybe it is a condo of sorts where people get a parking spot and live in their cars.
Thursday, July 26, 10AM

All I can say is "Detroit seems to be trying."

Parking lots, parking garages seem to be the major industry. I don't get it. Some of the newest and best built buildings are parking garages. Is this the post-post industrial age of a city in its last days - like a white dwarf about to be snuffed? One big parking lot? And who are the people driving all these cars? Actually, where are these people? I see empty streets, mainly devoid of cars. Well, it is the Motor City, but with so few cars on the streets do we call it The Motorless City. But maybe I'm not in the right area.

As I got closer to one massive beautiful brick building that in most cities would be