Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Surviving in Ones Native Land « Deborah Meier on Education

Surviving in Ones Native Land « Deborah Meier on Education:


Surviving in Ones Native Land

I just finished reading Diane Ravitch’s latest blog–and the response from David Berliner. If you haven’t seen it go to Diane Ravitch’s Blog.
She gave me the idea of writing very short comments–i my case also as a way of getting rid of some of te clippings that pile up on my desk! Thanks for the idea, Diane. It’s also a take off from Mike Klonsky’s blog. Bu, of course all three are very different! Which is precisely part of the point behind my educational ideas: our differences show up in everything we touch. And that’s a blessing!~ When we try to follow someone else’s prescription we focus so much on getting it “right” that we miss making the connections that will expand our thinking and our students’.
I’ve read many books explaining to me foolproof ways to discipline minds and behaviors–and I’ve usually learned something in the process–even if sometimes it’s just what not to do. But as a teacher in a classroom there are hundreds of decisions one makes in a single class period–and most require instant responsiveness to novel