Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 1, 2012

I’m starting a new union. Send me your dues. « Fred Klonsky

I’m starting a new union. Send me your dues. « Fred Klonsky:


I’m starting a new union. Send me your dues.

John L. Lewis, leader of the mine workers union.
Maybe it’s the summer heat.
Recently a small group of standardized test critics (which I am, by the way) have declared war on the National Education Association. Not just a war on the leadership, mind you. But on all 3 million members, minus themselves (or at least those that actually are members of the NEA or the AFT).
Even though the national meeting of the NEA RA will produce a basketful of resolutions condemning the use and misuse of standardized tests, these critics want more.
And, really, who doesn’t always want more? Particularly when it comes to resolutions, New Business Items and letters of outrage?
They have issued a threat. Either support their specific declaration and tactics in opposing standardized testing