Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: Don't Get Caught?: What Message Are We Sending Our Kids?

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: Don't Get Caught?: What Message Are We Sending Our Kids?:


Don't Get Caught?: What Message Are We Sending Our Kids?


Every Tuesday I read to 3 and 4 year olds at the day care center across the street from my school.  As I picked up one of my enthusiastic charges I noticed the phrase on his t-shirt, "Don't Get Caught!" 

 "Don't Get Caught?" I realized he had no idea what it said, so I left it alone. However, as we sat down to read, the phrase on his shirt picked at me. Negative connotations were the only meaning I could derive from that statement. Maybe I was projecting.  Maybe it meant "Don't get caught slacking" or "Don't get caught....", you fill in the rest, I can't think of anything positive right now.

But it reminded me of what our society has become. A place where you can do whatever you want, as long as you "don't get caught".  And, if you do get caught, do not, under any circumstances, take responsibility for your actions!

I have a sign in my classroom that I place in full view every year, "Your Actions, Your Responsibility!" I repeat it,