Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Daily Kos: Sunday morning reflection

Daily Kos: Sunday morning reflection:


Sunday morning reflection

Since I left the classroom, I have not been doing my Saturday morning reflections.  I have posted little here.  But I have been reflecting, observing, thinking, reflecting more.
One week ago we were finishing up dental triage in Wise Virginia, for the 13th Annual Remote Area Medical and Missions of Mercy free medical and dental event.  That Friday we triaged more than 800 patients.  We have now lived for several years under the Affordable Care Act yet still the needs persist.  Remember, even those who have medical insurance often find it covers up to the neck - no vision, hearing, psychological or dental services.  If you are on Medicare or Medicaid, the fact that Congress does not keep the reimbursements at a level that covers the costs of medical professionals means increasingly they will not take on patients in those categories.
As I drove home in md-morning last Sunday, I thought about how lucky I have been with respect to medical and dental, and wonder how it is that in a country with as much wealth as ours we still have too many people whose access to medical care is worse than in some third world countries and I am ashamed for my country.
This morning, however, my thoughts go in a different direction.