Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 29, 2012

An Urban Teacher's Education: Police in the Hallways

An Urban Teacher's Education: Police in the Hallways:


Police in the Hallways

A little over a year ago, just before I left New York, the University of Minnesota Press sent me a copy of Police in the Hallways for my review. I only just read it, and now I'm kicking myself. The knowledge and insights I gained could have helped me not only this past year, but my entire career.

Kathleen Nolan, a lecturer in the teacher preparation program at Princeton, writes about her study at a school (which she refers to at Urban Public High School, or UPHS) confronting the effects of poverty, violence, police presence, and zero tolerance policies. Once a teacher in the South Bronx, Nolan returns (to a different school) to try to answer some key questions.