Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 21, 2012

An Urban Teacher's Education: Dreams of the Coming Year

An Urban Teacher's Education: Dreams of the Coming Year:


Dreams of the Coming Year

I had a wonderful dream last night. I was teaching in a half-classroom, half-auditorium type room (dreams...who knows....), and I had my new class of freshman language arts students. It was the first week, so they were all timid and polite. And for some reason, a number of other students were coming into my room to do things like play basketball, jump rope, and just hang out. In my dreamy auditorium classroom, this seemed perfectly normal to everyone.

Toward the end of the lesson, I began talking about a book I would have the class read together. As we began discussing it, and reading it, the kids from around the room began turning their heads to hear what I was talking