Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 23, 2012

Afternoon News Break 7-23-12


Jeb Bush’s Betrayal of Special Needs Kids AND Conservative Values in Florida’s NCLB Waiver

Jeb Bush wanted Arne Duncan’s NCLB waiver for Florida even though Marco Rubio said Duncan didn’t have the authority to grant them.
Standing alone, this is a stunning tidbit that’s gone unnoticed by the Florida media.
But both are so 2011.
Here we are today with the reality of what Bush wanted. Education Week reporter Nirvi Shah writes of the difficult spot Florida is in as a result as a result of the waiver:
Florida education officials are taking steps to undo requirements that schools for students with 


Gary Rubinstein fact checks new StudentsFirst ad

Written by Gary Rubinstein for Teacher for Us.  Read the entire post here.
One quote that is pretty inaccurate is when the announcer says “It appears that the once proud U.S. program has been relying too much on its reputation.  I’d say they’re completely unprepared.”  They are referring to the apparent ‘crisis’ that on the 2009 international PISA tests, the U.S. 15 year olds ranked 17th in science and 25th in math out of 34 countries.  The “once proud U.S. program” comment implies that there was a time when the U.S. led the word on these international exams.  Actually, we never have done well on these.  In the 1964 FIMS test, we were 11th out of 12.  These tests are not predictors of future economic strength, obviously since our 



Writer’s Block Unblocked

treeSummertime makes writing routines a bit more challenging to maintain (photo by the author)
Hello everyone – I’m back.  Writer’s block got me good the past few weeks.  Part of the issue was a general slowing down after the school year ends.  My rhythms and schedules have been further disrupted by travel, my children’s summer schedules, and moving out of my house temporarily during some remodeling.
So, I’m going to try to close that chapter of my writing life this summer by offering some quick thoughts on a few


My New Piece In The Washington Post

I’ve just published a piece in The Washington Post summarizing my recent posts on loss aversion and schools.
I’m also adding it to The Best Posts On “Loss Aversion” & Schools.
I’m also adding a Mother Jones commentary on the topic to that list.


Garbage In, Garbage Out: MMSD Reports


On the Madison Metropolitan School District Board of Education agenda this week are a plethora of reports and updates on Literacy Program Evaluation, the Strategic Plan,  the Achievement Gap Plan (an aside, one of the good things about the initial introduction was the use of the plural — Gaps — that seems to have disappeared), the Fine Arts Plan, the Math Plan, the Talented and Gifted Plan, and the Equity Report (meetings commence at 5:15 PM, Monday July 23, after a closed session, first up in open session is a discussion of “Merit Pay” for


Joe Moore Does His Job...

The actual bucket used to carry Rahm's water.
...which involves carrying a lot of water for a certain little autocratic mayor.

What a lovely day at the city council!

I attended the Human Relations Committee, where chair Joe Moore had a hundred and one different reasons not to bring up the aldermen-sponsored version of the resolution on the elected school board referendum. It was the wrong committee, it was three minutes too late getting time-stamped, it wasn't the usual procedure.

You can be sure that if he were for an elected, representative school board, he would have put the matter up for a vote. But no.

We got a resolution on an advisory referendum on Citizens United. I mean, great and everything, but isn't this the 

Math Teacher Debunks Khan Academy

I was in a car the other day with friends who don’t pay much attention to education issues, and one asked me, “Who is this guy who figured out how to teach math to everyone?” He said he read about him in Time magazine. Thus is a myth created.
I am not a reliable critic of math methods, it’s not my field so I have not assayed a view of Khan and his videos.
But today I read a devastating critique. The bottom line: the videos aren’t very good and neither is the math.
I have a tendency to want to see educational ideas developed in a sober and careful way, because I know of US


Murdoch’s Bold Move into Education Market

Make no mistake. The privatization movement is in full cry.
There are big profits to be made in the education industry.
Rupert Murdoch’s corporation just split into two divisions, with one focused on education and publishing, headed by Joel Klein.
Says the story: Mr. Klein said being a part of the spunoff publishing company (which would include the troubled British tabloid The Sun) could help ease concerns among educators.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want any data about my grandchildren in Murdoch’s data base.
According to the story linked above, Rupert Murdoch tweeted: “Only way to restore American dream and have


Bright Spots in China

I just spent five weeks in Beijing, China, learning mandarin. The particular summer program I was with is not through school but an elective immersion experience. I attended 4-5 Chinese classes a day but my day was so much more than just my classes. The program is structured such that we also gained a flavor of the place and culture- we went sight seeing as a group and participated in Chinese extra curricular activities (such as Tai Chi and calligraphy). Additionally, we stayed with Chinese host families and adapted to their schedule.
As I went about my first week, I was struck by how positive from an education standpoint the program is. For instance, we are graded on our participation, homework and quizzes but the grades have no real significance. As a result, students disregard the grade, showing its minimal actual value, and instead focus on what truly matters- learning (actually understanding, utilizing and recognizing new characters or grammar structures instead of


Backers of parent trigger law score victory in court

A Superior Court judge has ruled that a Mojave Desert school board illegally rejected a parent petition to turn over an elementary school to a charter, in a major victory for supporters of California’s parent trigger law.
 
In a decision made public Monday, San Bernardino County Superior Court Judge Steve Malone ruled that the Adelanto School District improperly allowed 97 parents at Desert Trails Elementary School to rescind their signatures, which caused support for the petition to drop below the required 50% threshold.

Under regulations adopted last fall by the state Board of Education, Malone ruled, the parent trigger law does not