Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

You May Say I’m a DREAMer [Where We Belong] | The Jose Vilson

You May Say I’m a DREAMer [Where We Belong] | The Jose Vilson:


You May Say I’m a DREAMer [Where We Belong]


An interesting story came across my desk this morning. Daniela Peraez, the valedictorian of her class, almost had to rescind her citizenship status over complications with the migra. This particular paragraph stuck with me:
Despite her uphill legal battle that lies ahead, Pelaez will head to Dartmouth College in September on a full scholarship.
As friends, family, and supporters watched Pelaez emerged confidently dressed in her white cap and gown at the North Miami Senior High School graduation, but her accomplishments recognized there went well beyond her diploma. She received the Superintendent’s Diploma of Distinction, she graduated Summa Cum Laude and she was the Valedictorian.
“Without your demonstration of kindness and sense of community I would have been deported,”