Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 7, 2012

WHY PUBLIC OPINION HAS TURNED AGAINST TEACHERS « Teachers Fight Back

WHY PUBLIC OPINION HAS TURNED AGAINST TEACHERS « Teachers Fight Back:


WHY PUBLIC OPINION HAS TURNED AGAINST TEACHERS

I was listening to a call in radio show yesterday and the topic was Chicago teachers and their current voting whether or not to authorize a strike. The majority of callers  were very angry with the teachers and extremely frustrated by the teachers’ demands. That was typical of a fairly recent phenomenon in which public opinion has turned against teachers.
I’ve written before about the reasons for this, but I now think I have uncovered the primary reason. I’ve written about the lack of personal responsibility in our current society. If a student isn’t succeeding, it’s the teacher’s fault, unlike in years past when it was considered a failing on the part of the student themselves and their parents. I’ve written about the incredibly effective job that the big moneyed “reformers” have done in blaming teacher unions. I’ve cited the role of the press in making headlines about every ridiculous teacher action.
The list of reasons is very lengthy and I’ve written about all of them before, but the primary reason is the current