Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Unsolicited Advice for New and Novice Teachers: How We Teach Matters Most & Stay Humble | Outside the Cave

Unsolicited Advice for New and Novice Teachers: How We Teach Matters Most & Stay Humble | Outside the Cave:


Unsolicited Advice for New and Novice Teachers: How We Teach Matters Most & Stay Humble

I caught wind of a math blog meme giving advice to new teachers after reading a wonderful post from Jason Buell called “Life in the Gray,” which nicely goes a long way toward summing up how complicated teaching really is. It reminded me of something I just wrote, which I though I would post here as well.
The following is a response to an email that was forwarded to me without a name or background.  Because of who sent it to me, I’m assuming it’s from a novice teacher, but I’m not sure.  The email came after this teacher got into a heated and upsetting argument with coworkers where she or he advocated for adding one piece of non-western, non-canonical world literature that might validate alternative experiences to the school’s curriculum of “Shakespeare, Steinbeck, Homer, and all of the other BS that we make the students read.”  She or he was


It’s Official: I Work at Harvest Collegiate High School!

I am very proud to write that at about 7pm last night, I officially became the first faculty member of Harvest Collegiate High School.  To this point, I was a member of the school’s planning team, but after the formal interview yesterday, I will now get to actually work there.  I am immensely excited, and am eager to write about the work that has and will go into planning a brand new school (that, for the record, is NOT a charter; we’re 100%