Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Reflections on SocialEdCon (formerly EduBloggerCon)

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Reflections on SocialEdCon (formerly EduBloggerCon):


Reflections on SocialEdCon (formerly EduBloggerCon)


100_7643
It’s been three years since I’ve attended ISTE (it was called NECC last time I came in D.C.), and three years since I attended an EduBloggerCon (now renamed SocialEdCon to reflect how the medium is moving beyond blogs). Fortunately, I live in California near Steve Hargadon (who does much of the organizing for these events), and I can attend activities he does here, so my life has included un-conferencing. Just as with going to CUE vs. going to ISTE, there is some perspective you get from getting not just a national, but international group together.
Education reform is creepy into even the most affluent districts and even in classrooms that have been a shining example of creativity and making online connections are being given scripted reading programs, and formulaic