Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 15, 2012

Is Rahm in Trouble with Voters? « Diane Ravitch's blog

Is Rahm in Trouble with Voters? « Diane Ravitch's blog:


Is Rahm in Trouble with Voters?

This reader says that Mayor Rahm Emanuel is in trouble.
I don’t live in Chicago so I don’t know if he is right.
The one time that I met Rahm Emanuel–a meeting at the White House to talk about Race to the Top–he was arrogant and unpleasant, but that seems to be his style with everyone, I was told, don’t take it personally. I didn’t. But then, I don’t live in Chicago.
Anyone reading this who lives in Chicago should let me know if they agree with this assessment:
Rahm’s base has withered to the top levels of the Plutocracy, and he is afraid to go out in public in any situation that he does not control completely. Were he to re-appear at a White Sox game, for example, as he did after he thought he had a star turn following NATO, he would be booed. That’s where the working class issues its judgements on guys like that.During the last two weeks, as his myrmidons and minions pushed as hard as they could for a “NO” vote, Rahm retreated into his gilded Fueherbunker, surrounded by public relations and propaganda flacks who ensure that his every appearance is carefully scripted so he doesn’t hear the boos. I once counted a dozen of them (CPS