Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 18, 2012

HechingerEd Blog | Reforming the way we write about reform, education and more

HechingerEd Blog | Reforming the way we write about reform, education and more:


Reforming the way we write about reform, education and more

Several years ago, an older and wiser colleague of mine at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel gently chided me for using the phrase “inner city” in my newspaper articles on Milwaukee’s schools. My co-worker, Jamaal Abdul-Alim, pointed out that most of the neighborhoods and sections of Milwaukee to which I ascribed that label were not part of the city’s core. If I meant low-income, predominantly black, high in crime, or some combination of all three, I should say so more plainly, he advised.
The exchange prompted me to think more explicitly about language as I wrote about education in the decade that followed. Some days, the pressure of deadlines made me negligent; and at least a few times I let simplistic, misleading, or jargon-laden language slip into my writing out of sheer laziness. But overall I believe Jamaal’s comment helped make me a more deliberate and considerate writer.
I was reminded of the importance of language during a recent virtual discussion between reporters about the overuse, and misuse, of the term “reform” in education writing. Several journalists pointed out that labeling a