Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Grandma Esther. « Fred Klonsky

Grandma Esther. « Fred Klonsky:


Grandma Esther.

Esther Wainer lived a long life. She was 92 when she died.
I hope I have that DNA.
Esther and I share a birthday.
It is today.
Grandma Esther was born in Russia. Most of what I know about her life is oral history. So half of what I know is probably not true and the other half is exaggerated.
Her father did not believe in girls getting a college education. She ran away from home and went to Heidelberg in Germany where she met my grandfather, Samuel. He was studying to be a dentist.
At some point around 1910 they came to the United States and settled in Connecticut. They had four daughters: Bea, Francis, my mother Helen, and Doris. And a son, Al.
It is interesting that nobody names their daughters Bea, Francis, Helen or Doris anymore. There are not manyAls either.
In the 40s my grandparents moved to Los Angeles. They lived in the Jewish community of City Terrace on LA’s